Employment Opportunities at The Great Smoky Mountains Railroad
Department: Food & Beverage Position: Sous Chef Date Available: Immediately Reports to: Food & Beverage Manager
Type of Position: Seasonal / Non-exempt hourly
Job Summary: Responsible for the daily operations of the kitchen. Plans, organizes, directs and controls all kitchen activities to ensure the kitchen’s goals and objectives are reached and consistent with established Company policy and procedure. Works as a team member of the Food & Beverage Department.
Work experience requirements: Must be able to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English, possessing good leadership and interpersonal skills with proven ability to supervise people. Must be able to interact effectively with coworkers and customers. Prefer culinary arts degree or certification and 4-6 years of experience in the field or related area. Must have an understanding of federal, state and local food sanitation regulations. Must be familiar with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices and procedures. Must be able to work a flexible schedule with night, weekend and holiday hours.
Duties and Responsibilities: Responsible for the daily operations of the on board kitchen. Duties include menu development, inventory, purchasing of supplies and cost control. Other duties as requested by Food & Beverage Manager and/or AHR/GSMR senior mgmt. Plans, organizes, directs and controls all kitchen activities to ensure the kitchen’s goals and objectives are reached and consistent with established Company policy and procedure. Oversees the activities of on board kitchen staff.
- Monitors food production and presentation. Stays in compliance with all federal, state and local food sanitation regulations.
- Participates in hiring and training of on board kitchen personnel. May serve as an expeditor when needed.
- Direct/Oversee/Accomplish any special projects requested by Food & Beverage Manager and/or AHR/GSMR senior management.
- Monitor staff performance and recommend personnel actions such as promotion, layoff, disciplinary action and termination.
- Conduct formal and informal staff evaluations as requested while providing performance feedback on a consistent/continual basis.
- Oversee and ensure compliance with GSMR policy, procedures and safety program including Safety Rules, Operating Rules and participation in ongoing safety training/regular weekly safety meetings. Initiate/Complete required paperwork and recordkeeping in a timely manner providing accurate reports to accounting, payroll, HR, Food & Beverage Manager and senior mgmt as requested.
Education Requirements: Prefer culinary arts degree or certification and/or 4-6 years of experience in the field or related area.
Tools and Equipment Used:Kitchen equipment Posting Date May 22, 2013
Applications must be received in the HR office by Wednesday, May 29, 2013
GSMR employemnt applications are available for download here, or you can physically fill one out at our Depot Offices.
If you are obtaining your application online you may fax it back to 828-488-0427 to the attention of Human Resources.
Feel free to call us if you have any questions regarding employment or the Human Resources department. 800-872-4681