The Great Smoky Mountains Railroad, in accordance with federal, state, and local government guidelines is safely operating all Passenger Scenic Rail Excursions departing from Bryson City.
The Health and Safety of Our Staff and Guests is Our Top Priority. We are implementing protocols and best practices to ensure the safety of all.
- Per the North Carolina Governor Executive Order, wearing a face mask or covering while at the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad and its properties is required. Face Masks will be offered at no cost to all customers upon arrival and will be available at ticket pick up, GSMR Gift Shop, and various locations onboard the train.
- We are recommending all reservations to be PRE-BOOKED by phone or online prior to arriving on site. This process will allow us to plan ahead for passenger coach equipment and adequate staffing.
- One person per reservation party will be allowed to collect tickets at a designated check in area. All other party members must wait in the open boarding platform areas.
- We are limiting train car capacity depending on the class of seating and car layout.
- Social Distancing of 6ft or more is encouraged throughout the entire property. This includes the Model Train Museum, Gift Shop, Depot, Café Deck and other high-traffic areas.
- Directional signage and arrows will be placed throughout the property for ingress/egress and proper que lines. Some areas will be one-way only.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be located at high-traffic areas for guest and employee use.
- To further encourage personal hygiene and social distancing we will be providing clear and frequent reminders via signage, PA announcements and staff instruction both onboard and while on GSMR property.
- To further implement the most effective touchless and low-touch solution to physical exchange, cashless transactions are strongly encouraged throughout all purchasing locations and Gift Shop.
- We have enhanced cleaning and disinfecting frequency to include daily sanitizing in all public areas including commonly used surfaces in the Depot Ticketing, Gift Shop and Model Train Museum such as door handles, counter tops, seating areas are frequently cleaned with EPA-approved and CDC-endorsed disinfectants.
- Aboard our trains, we have amplified the daily cleaning of our passenger cars to include fogging, a sanitation process that disinfects surface areas and is highly effective and safe.
- Clear protective barriers have been placed at all front facing service counters to include: Depot Ticketing, Gift Shop, Café and Concessions Sales
- For non First Class passengers, food Service will be limited to advance sales of freshly prepared box picnic lunches which should be preordered at time of reservation. Lunches are available for pickup at the Depot Cafe prior to departure.
For Our Employee’s
- All employees will receive daily health screenings with temperature and symptom checks.
- Any employees exhibiting symptoms will be asked to return/stay home.
- All employees will be required to wear a mask while on company property. Workplace masks have been provided by GSMR.
- Front-line employees and those working in public/guest areas are required to wear gloves in addition to face masks.
- We educate our employees with updated CDC & OSHA guidelines to safely work during COVID-19
- All employees must adhere to all departmental cleaning and disinfecting instructions based on CDC guidelines.
For Our Passengers
- Per North Carolina Governor Executive Order, wearing a face mask or covering while at the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad and its properties is required. Face Masks will be offered at no cost to all customers upon arrival and will be available at ticket pick up, GSMR Gift Shop, and various locations onboard the train.
- Book your reservation online or over the phone before arriving on property.
- Please select 1 person from your party to collect tickets in designated area.
- Follow CDC and State health and safety guidelines.
- Practice social distancing. Always keep at least 6 feet between you and others.
- Gatherings/congregating should not exceed the stated maximum amount for the area.
- Follow proper hand washing guidelines.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Dispose of tissue in trash.
- Stay home if you are ill or exhibiting symptoms of flu or COVID-19. We will work with you to cancel or reschedule your reservations without penalty when done in advance.
- Be courteous in enclosed spaces and walkways and allow ample space for passing and social distancing.
- Follow directional signs and staff instructions.
- Be prepared with cashless payment methods; GSMR will have the ability to accept credit and debit cards for all transactions and onboard train purchases during this time.
- Remain seated in your assigned passenger coach during your round trip, except for the layover at the Nantahala Outdoor Center.
- Plan ahead for lunch service by pre booking one of our freshly prepared box picnic lunch options.
SOCIAL DISTANCE- Join us in practicing social distancing at the Depot, Gift Shop and Model Train Museum, boarding platform areas, and throughout our community. Congregating in groups is discouraged.
WASH HANDS- Please wash hands frequently for a minimum of 20 seconds. Hand sanitizing stations are also available through the property.
WEAR MASKS- Our employees will be wearing masks that cover their nose and mouth, per NC Governor and Federal mandate all those over the age of 5 must wear a mask unless eating or drinking.
CLEAN & SANITIZE- We are frequently cleaning high-touch areas throughout our properties.